The release of Honouring our Strengths presents a significant opportunity to strengthen the quality, effectiveness, and accessibility of First Nation substance use-related services.
Key benefits of the national framework are that:
- It provides health directors, community leadership, and a range of service providers with an evidence-based and culturally-relevant guide to design and deliver community addictions and mental health services.
- It will guide strategic planning efforts at regional and national levels, and guide new or ongoing investments in programming.
- It will serve as an advocacy tool for community, regional, and national level bodies to advocate for improved coordination and enhanced resources to address substance use and mental health issues.
- It helps to validate the critical role that Indigenous culture and cultural practices play in addressing substance use issues and promoting overall health and mental wellness.
- It supports communities, leadership, and service providers to increase collaboration and build partnerships with other care consistent with the approach of the framework.
This post is also available in: French